These Rules (the “Rules”) apply to the Duxford Soapbox event taking place on Sunday 1st August 2018 (the “Event”) and by registering for the Event, you agree to comply with them.
The Event is organised by Duxford Soapbox Committee (“we”, “us”, “our” and the “Committee”) on behalf of Cancer Research UK Trading Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, registered office: Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD, registered company number: 4355631). Cancer Research UK Trading Limited gift aids its taxable profits to Cancer Research UK (a registered charity in England and Wales (1089464), Scotland (SC041666) and the Isle of Man (1103)). ‘Cancer Research UK’ and ‘Cancer Research UK Trading Limited’ are together (“CRUK”).
- Participants must be aged 18 or over at the time of registration.
- Entrants under the age of 18 must have the permission of their parent or legal guardian before registering to take part in the Event.
- Participants under the age of 16 must be accompanied at the Event by their parent or legal guardian (or by an over 18 year old who has the permission of that participant’s parent or legal guardian).
- We reserve the right to refuse entry to any participant who is under age, not accompanied as required or unable to provide their event registration confirmation, photo ID or other satisfactory proof of age when requested to do so by an Event official.
- Participants are only eligible to take part in the Event if they have:
- paid the entry fee by 31st August 2019
- Given the limited number of spaces for the Event, entry fees are non-refundable. Furthermore, where we have a right to refuse your entry to the Event under these Rules, no refund will be given.
Changes and Last Minute Arrangements
- We reserve the right to postpone and/or cancel the Event in our absolute discretion due to factors such as (but not limited to) adverse weather conditions.
General Health and Safety
- Participants must ensure they are sufficiently fit and healthy to take part in the Event. Anyone unsure of their physical ability to take part in the Event must seek medical advice from a General Practitioner prior to the Event. It is not advisable for pregnant women to participate in the Event.
- We reserve the right to refuse entry to the Event in our absolute discretion if for whatever reason we consider a person unfit to take part. We may also ask you to withdraw during the Event if we have concerns about your ability to complete it due to fitness, injury or otherwise. If you continue, you do so with the understanding that you absolve us and CRUK of all and any responsibility and progress entirely at your own risk.
- We take all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of injury to participants during fundraising events. There is a risk assessment process in place for the Event which aims to minimise or eliminate the risk to everyone taking part. However, by taking part in the Event, you acknowledge that it is potentially hazardous and that there may be conditions or circumstances beyond our control that can lead to unforeseen risks.
- All participants, volunteers and spectators enter and attend the Event entirely at their own risk.
- Participants must call the Event organiser or report to an Event marshal, should they decide not to finish the route before the close of the Event.
- Participants are responsible for ensuring they are wearing appropriate attire (including footwear) when taking part in the Event, taking into account the nature of the Event, the weather forecast and the terrain involved. We reserve the right to refuse entry to the Event to anyone with inappropriate or missing equipment or clothing.
- All participants must take part with care and attention and abide by the UK Highway Code and any other rules stipulated by the Event organiser, Event marshals, police and officials.
- First aid facilities will be provided. Any major incidents should be reported to 999.
- By taking part in the Event, you consent to receiving medical treatment administered by medically qualified personnel during the Event if required in any circumstances where you are unconscious or otherwise incapable of making a decision regarding medical treatment.
- The Committee and CRUK shall not be liable for any injury or loss to persons or their property that might occur as a result of their participation in or attendance at the Event other than in respect of any death or personal injury arising out of the Committee’s or CRUK’s negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause shall exclude or limit the Committee’s or CRUK’s liability for any liability that cannot be excluded or limited by law.
- Any participant that is suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs will be refused entry and will not be allowed to participate in the Event.
We recommend that you bring the following items with you:
- Full water bottle and food as required
- Suitable high visibility clothing and footwear (taking into account the weather forecast)
- A mobile phone with full battery
- The emergency procedure and emergency contact details (provided at the start)
- A full route map and instructions
Use of Personal Data
- By providing personal data to the Committee and/or CRUK when you register for the Event, you confirm that you consent to such data being used by the Committee and CRUK for the purposes of organising, staging and administering the Event.
- Depending on the answers you give to the marketing questions asked by the Committee and/or CRUK, your personal data may also be used by the Committee and/or CRUK for direct marketing purposes.
- If you provide personal data on behalf of additional entrants, you also confirm that you have obtained their consent for such data to be used for the same purposes.
- In the case of an emergency, the Committee and CRUK may pass any personal details provided (either when registering for the Event or otherwise) to the emergency services or health care professionals, and also use them for the purposes of contacting emergency contacts. If you provide personal details on behalf of someone else, you confirm that you have their consent for their details to be used in this way.
- Participants consent to their details (which will be obtained by medical providers if participants are treated by them at the Event) being passed to the Committee and to CRUK. These details shall only be used for administration and health and safety purposes and to fulfil legal obligations (including those under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.) All medical details will be held on the CRUK database.
- All personal data held by CRUK will be handled in accordance with CRUK’s Privacy Statement which can be found at https://cruk.org
- By taking part in the Event, all participants, volunteers and spectators agree that they are happy for their names and any video footage, stills or photographs taken of them during the Event by the Committee or CRUK (or by their service providers or agents) to be used by the Committee and CRUK to publicise the Event and for commercial and/or fundraising purposes including, but not limited to, television broadcasts, advertising, publications, marketing material, merchandise, social media, personalised direct mail, social media and other documents that may be made available to the public.
- The Committee and/or CRUK may appoint third-party photographers to take photographs at the Event. All participants agree that photographs featuring them may be sent to them, to other people also featured in those photographs and to children’s parents/legal guardians where children are featured in those photos. Whilst photographers will try to obtain parental/legal guardian’s consent before taking images where children are more than just incidentally included, this cannot be guaranteed.
Sponsorship Money and Donations
- Any monies raised in connection with the Event are held on trust for Cancer Research UK and must be passed to Cancer Research UK. We ask that you do this as soon as possible after the Event. You can:
- Pay in your sponsorship money online on your Just Giving page; or
- Send cheques made payable to “Cancer Research UK” to: Duxford SoapBox, Cancer Research UK, PO Box 1561, Oxford, OX4 9GZ. Stating the name of the Event and your entry number on the reverse.
- You have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received by you for the Event are paid to CRUK.
A .pdf version of the Soap Box Construction Guidelines and Rules can be downloaded here.